My family loved it!! I made it a second time with potatoes that I peeled and sliced thinly with a box grater. That was a hit as well!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30 oz frozen shredded hash brown potatoes thawed
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced parsley
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 casserole baking dish.
- Preheat medium pot over medium heat on stove-top.
- Add oil, heat it through and add onions. Saute onions until they start to brown.
- Smash and mince garlic and add it to the onions. Stir and saute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir well. Stir for a few seconds and start slowly pouring in chicken stock, while stirring. Pour in milk after that while stirring as well.
- Let the mixture heat through and start to thicken.
- Stir in sour cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture cook and thicken as the cheese melts. Taste to make sure you have enough seasoning.
- Stir in parsley.
- Mix hash browns and cheese sauce in a large bowl and spread the mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Make sure it’s all spread evenly throughout.
- Spread some more cheese on top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until casserole browned and bubbles around the edges.