- 1 1/2 lb. boneless chuck roast, cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup pearl barley (or hulled barley)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat up a large pot on high heat. Add the olive oil and beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the liquids evaporate and the beef starts to brown.
Reduce heat to medium and add onion, carrots, and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, thyme, salt, and pepper and mix everything well. Add the barley and beef (or chicken) broth.
Reduce the heat to medium low, and cook until the beef is very tender, for about 1 1/2 hours. Note: add extra broth if you’d like to thin out the soup a bit more.
4 SMART POINTS
Saturated Fat: 1g,
Vitamin A: 2680IU,
Vitamin C: 9.7mg,