CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI:
- 1 lb chicken breast (boneless skinless), cut into 3/4″ pieces
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil (I used extra light olive oil), divided
- 1 lb broccoli cut into florets (about 5 cups)
- 1 small yellow onion sliced into strips
- 1/2 lb white button mushrooms thickly sliced
STIR FRY SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free), or added to taste
- 2 Tbsp light brown free sugar packed (or honey to taste)
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger peeled and grated (lightly packed)
- 1 tsp garlic (2 small cloves) grated
1/4 tsp black pepper plus more to season chicken
In a small bowl, combine all of the sauce ingredients and whisk to dissolve sugar and corn starch (warm broth will help dissolve the sugar faster). Set sauce aside.
Cut chicken into small bite-sized pieces (no more than 3/4” thick) and season lightly with pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp oil. Add chicken in a single layer and let it sit undisturbed for 1 minute to get a good sear then stir fry for another 5 minutes or until golden brown just cooked through then remove to a bowl and loosely cover to keep warm.In the same skillet, add another 1 Tbsp oil along with broccoli florets, sliced onion and sliced mushrooms. Stir fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and broccoli is crisp-tender then reduce heat to medium/low.
Give the sauce a quick stir in case there was any settling of starch and pour all of it over the vegetables. Simmer 3-4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and garlic and ginger are mellowed in flavor. To thin the sauce, add water a tablespoon at a time.
Return chicken to the pan and stir another 30 seconds or until heated through. Add more soy sauce to taste if needed and serve over hot rice.
9 Smart Points
Servings: 5 people
NUTRITION FACTS:Amount Per ServingCalories 325Calories from Fat 126% Daily Value*Fat 14g22%Saturated Fat 2g13%Cholesterol 73mg24%Sodium 586mg25%Potassium 1039mg30%Carbohydrates 21g7%Fiber 4g17%Sugar 10g 11%Protein 31g62%Vitamin A 740IU15%Vitamin C 105mg127%Calcium 68mg7%Iron 2mg11%